AROMA & FLAVOUR
What are Terpenes?
Terpenes are a large and diverse class of organic compounds, produced by a variety of plants. Those terpenes found in cannabis plants help provide aroma and flavour and when consumed together- interact with cannabinoids and have been shown to influence their effects.
Here are the 10 most common cannabis terpenes:
- Limonene Aroma – Woody, earthy, spicy. Very common, aids in the absorption of other terpenes through the skin.
- Pinene Aroma – Pine smell, woody. Similar, to the smell associated with pine forests.
- Myrcene Aroma – Musky, spicy, citrusy. The most prevalent terpene and often dictates the type of interaction and effect.
- Linalool Aroma – Floral, sugar, citrus. Sedative properties.
- Delta-3-Carene Aroma – citrusy, sweet. Considered to contribute to the dry mouth feeling when consuming cannabis.
- Eucalyptol Aroma – eucalyptus, menthol. Can be applied topically and been shown to have anti-fungal properties.
- Beta-Caryophyllene Aroma – Peppery, woody, spicy. Interacts directly with bodies endocannabinoid system.
- Humulene Aroma – Woody. Found in hops, basil and cloves.
- Borneol Aroma – herbal, woody, balsam like. Chinese doctors have employed it for millennia in acupuncture.
- Terpineol Aroma – smoky, pine. Used in many beauty products to create nice smells.